February 1, 2016
Dear St. Louis Park Food Establishment,
The St. Louis Park City Council recently adopted a Zero Waste Packaging ordinance that will take effect January 1, 2017. The goal of the ordinance is to increase traditional recycling and organics recycling while reducing waste through the ordinance requirements.
What will be required?
The Zero Waste Packaging ordinance has two main requirements for food establishments licensed by Hennepin County and serving food in St. Louis Park, as follows:
- Ready-to-eat food and beverages must be served in packaging that can be reused, returned, recycled or composted.
- Food establishments must provide on-site recycling and/or organics recycling* for customers dining-in to discard their used food/beverage packaging.
What is the city doing to help?
The City of St. Louis Park Public Works Division will be spending the next year working with licensed food establishments like yours to provide information and resources to comply with the ordinance. The city understands that many food establishments order packaging in large quantities and will be looking for guidance on compliant packaging. Please watch for information on the following:
- Acceptable packaging: Lists of acceptable packaging materials and other information will be released online and in a mailing by April 2016.
- Exemptions: Any packaging products that are given an exemption due to no commercially available alternative being found will also be released by April 2016.
- Packaging Fair: A packaging fair is being planned for May 19, 2016, which will provide packaging information and access to vendors selling compliant products and offering hauling service, and to county funding resources. Please mark your calendars and plan to attend. More information will be provided as event details are made available.
Please visit www.slpmn.us/zerowastepackaging for up-to-date information and resources for compliance with this ordinance. Make sure to click on the “Sign up for updates!” button to enter your information and receive email updates. You may also contact me at 952.924.2183 or email@example.com with any questions you may have.
I look forward to working with you.
Kala Fisher, Solid Waste Program Coordinator
Public Works Division
St. Louis Park Public Works Division • 7305 Oxford St., St. Louis Park, MN 55426
www.stlouispark.org • Phone: 952.924.2562 • Fax: 952.924.2560 • TTY: 952.924.2518