A unique new living option for older adults in transition is now available through Augustana Care, which purchased a three-bedroom historic landmark in Hopkins. Interested individuals are invited to see the home at an open house Thursday, June 9, from 4 to 6:30 p.m. at 509 Minnetonka Mills Road in Hopkins.
Residents at the home, known as Stepping Stones, will include an older adult looking for new living arrangements. The other two residents may either be students or professionals who care for older adults. Priority consideration will be given to applicants who are either studying or already established in fields such as nursing, psychology, social work, geriatrics and spiritual care. To learn more, call Kelly Morgan at 952-697-3877.
Built in 1900, Stepping Stones is adjacent to Augustan Chapel View, which provides independent and assisted living, rehabilitation and skilled nursing to older adults. Those who move in will find a fully-renovated kitchen, refinished hardwood floors and a finished basement.
Older adults will benefit in several ways while at Stepping Stones:
- Meals are prepared or available from Augustana Chapel View
- Housekeeping, laundry and other household chores are provided
- Home health care is available
- Companionship from live-in roommates adds to peace of mind
- Engagement in daily life is increased
- Enriching activities and learning opportunities are offered
- Opportunities for socialization and connection are increased
- A feeling of “family” and new friendships is present in the home
Volunteers will also be able to enjoy a number of benefits in an enjoyable family environment:
- Reduced rent in exchange for volunteer work will save up to several hundred dollars per month
- Comfortable, amenity-filled home
- Private bedroom
- Opportunities to learn from the unique perspectives of older adults
“Augustana Care’s history is rooted in the importance of preserving and honoring the past, and the Stepping Stones program is consistent with our mission,” says Regional Housing Director Mary Jo Thorne. “We are repurposing this beautiful home in a way that allows us to remain true to our history, while starting an exciting, intergenerational program that will add value and meaning to the lives of the future residents.”
To set up an interview or attend the open house on June 9, please call Jenna at 612-238-8552.
About Augustana Care
Augustana Care is a non-profit organization that provides housing, health care and community-based services to older generations and others in need—and helps residents live the lives that most inspire them. The principles that guide our work are as follows:
· To value older generations’ talents and experience
· To provide the care residents need, when and where they need it
· To connect residents to the people and things that mean the most to them
· To support residents and families with spiritual care that speaks to who they are
To learn more, visit www.augustanacare.org.